Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Trees are vital

Many of us think of trees as providers of wood for buildings and furniture, burning fuel and raw material for paper. Actually they are vital to life.

Trees are protectors of world climate. They absorb carbon dioxide and purify the air. They provide food such as fruits, medicines, and many other necessities. Trees control runoff water by absorbing it and prevent soil erosion. They mitigate the impact of floods. A great many vital organisms are sustained by trees. Apart from building materials for people trees also offer shelter to animals and birds. And they are of such great visual beauty.

Can you imagine life on Planet Earth without trees?

Trees are vital to the world. Conserve the existing ones and plant more.

Here are some nice photos of trees:









Photos Copyright KO Isaac. Click on them for enlarged view.

4 comments:

Lakshmi Bharadwaj said...

I liked the photos...thanks for the reminder that trees are important. This is supposed to be the wildlife week and I am wondering what my counrty is doing for conservation of trees and wildlife.

Unknown said...

Lakshmi, because of a slipped disc problem, I am not supposed to sit up for long stretches. That is why the delay in responding. This restriction would continue for 10 days more.
Youngsters like you should do everything possible to spread awarenes of the importance of conserving trees & wildlife.

Chandramouli S said...

They definitely are. People seldom think twice before cutting down trees to construct their apartments. Have they ever thought how many years that poor tree took to become what it is? Sad... In fact, I read that the Asoka tree is going to become endangered! I was so shocked! a tree with lovely blooms and a beautiful history is threatened? I'm trying my best to spread the word around during my conversations with friends and through my blog, but I hope everyone starts thinking about this...

Unknown said...

Chandramouli S, I fully agree with you. I am glad that you are carrying on an awareness campaign regarding the importance of trees.

Late Dr. Laurie Baker, the famous architect, used to mark every important tree on the plan of the site where he was to construct, and design buildings without tampering with the trees. Today some architects do follow this pattern.

Thank you for commenting.